The pallet trend is just about everywhere you look. If you want to get in on this trend, this is an extremely simple, fun and easy way to do it. In just seven simple steps, you'll have a custom-made shelf to hang on your wall and display your special photos and decor.
You only need a few basic power tools and a hammer and nails. So, get inspired and watch the video below for the full guided instructions to make your very own custom pallet shelf.
How to make a DIY pallet shelf
1. Use a reciprocating saw to cut through the braces on the sides and the middle of one pallet, leaving two slats on the smaller side. Then, cut an extra slat off the larger piece and put it to the side. Move the larger piece out of your way.
2. Lay your small piece you cut and your extra slat flat on a work area. Make sure that you're wearing your safety equipment, including glasses, gloves, and masks for all the dust.
3. Make sure all the metal pieces are removed from the pallet. Use the claw end of a hammer to pry out all the extra nails and staples.
4. Sand the entire pallet piece and extra slat, beginning with heavy-grit sandpaper and working your way up to finer sand paper for a smooth finish. Use a power sander to save time and a block sander for those hard-to-reach areas.
5. Use a tack cloth to wipe off all the extra sawdust between sandpaper grits.
6. Hammer the extra slat you removed to the bottom of the pallet using nails. You can also use an air gun if you have one, and save yourself some hammer time.
7. Spray on polyurethane to keep your pallet shelf looking new. Mount it on the wall on the studs for added security.
Pro tip: You can add a stain to the finished product, and it will bring out the beauty of the natural wood grain. Don't forget to wear gloves and protect the surface you're working on. Just wipe in the stain and then wipe it off in the same motion for a lighter finish. Use a brush or even an old toothbrush to get into tiny cracks.