Macrame is a beautiful art form that transforms cord or yarn into intricately designed knots. Outwardly, making macrame appears complex, but creating an artful statement with strategically placed knots is easier than imagined. In addition to providing an eye-catching touch to home decor, macrame can also be useful in crafting a unique display shelf.
A macrame shelf offers a decorative way to place items like books, plants and candles in the home. Change up the yarn color or knot design for a shelf concept that speaks to your personal taste and style. Easy to move and easy to create, a macrame shelf is a great way to quickly update the decor of a room.
- Circle macrame shelf 2 inches' diameter with double hand-hold cutouts
- Yellow cotton yarn
- Yellow cotton yarn
1. Lay a circular macrame shelf 2 feet in diameter with double hand-hold cutouts on a flat surface.
2. Cut 2 pieces of yellow yarn to 8 feet in length. Fold the yarn in half and cut at the center of each piece to create 4 individual pieces of yarn.
3. Lay the 4 strands of yarn out lengthwise and make sure edges are lined up evenly.
4. Run the ends of the yarn through the bottom corner of the shelf's hand-hold cutouts.
5. Fold 6 inches of the yarn ends in half to create a loop and pull the remaining yarn ends through the loop to make a knot. Pull to tighten.
6. Using the 2 center strands of yellow yarn as a base, lay the strand from the right side of the group across the top of center in a backwards L-shape.
7. Loop the strand from the left side underneath the two center strands and up and between the backwards L-shape and the furthest strand on the right. Pull tight to create a decorative macrame knot.
8. Repeat the process directly below the first knot to create a second knot. Push the second knot up to meet the first.
9. Continue crafting macrame knots until there are 6 in a row.
10. Use 4 additional strands of yellow yarn to repeat the process at the top of the same hand-hold cutout.
11. Gather the excess yarn at the ends of both macrame knotted strings and loop into a single knot.
12. Repeat the entire process for the hand-hold cutout on the other side of the circular shelf.
13. Hang the shelf from the 2 top knots on either side so that the shelf is horizontal to the ground.
14. Place a plant, book or candle on the macrame shelf to display.