Soda cans are much more durable than they may appear. The aluminum cans keep carbonated beverages fizzy, and after you enjoy your drink, you can easily transform the can into a shabby-chic flower vase. There’s no reason to throw a soda can in the bin when it can find a second purpose as a beautiful accent piece in the home.
A little buffing and precise cutting are all it takes to turn a soda can into a stem-worthy vase. Twine attached to the top adds a rustic touch. The possibilities are endless as to which labels you'll want to display. Choose a favorite brand or create a collection of soda can vases that bring the garden indoors.
1. Stand a soda can upright on a protective place mat with the tab facing up.
2. Beginning at the mouth of the can, cut away the aluminum top and tab using an X-Acto knife to trace the circumference of the metal. Wear protective gloves to avoid cuts and scratches. Leave a small aluminum shelf attached to the raised lip.
3. Buff the aluminum remaining at the can’s opening with a buffing block to remove rough edges.
4. Buff the entire exterior of the can to achieve the desired shabby-chic appearance and texture.
5. Place a spot of hot glue anywhere on the remaining aluminum shelf at the base of the can’s rim.
6. Place the end of a piece of twine to the hot glue and begin to circle the circumference of the can opening. Circle the opening with twine three times or until the remaining aluminum is entirely covered, attaching at various points with hot glue. Cut away excess twine once complete.
7. Place a small bouquet of faux flowers in the vase, and display your unique creation anywhere in your home.